|Our home grown organic tomatoes.....sweet and exceptional!|
There is continued controversy on Organic food and its benefits. Those of us who grow our own food certainly know the difference in a home grown tomato and one brought from the store. We don't have doubts but for those of you who do, here is a study that ought to interest you.
A meta-analysis was carried out on 343 peer-reviewed publications regarding the differences between organic and non-organic crops and crop based foods by a group of researchers listed at the end of this blog.
- Organic crops and foods are higher in antioxidants.
- Pesticide residues were 4 times higher in conventional grown crops
- Conventional raised crops contained more Cadmium, a toxic metal and other heavy metals. These heavy metals end up in the food via conventional kinds of farming methods.
Research was carried out by the group below:
- 1School of Agriculture, Food and Rural Development, Newcastle University,Nafferton Farm, Stocksfield,Northumberland,NE43 7XD,UK.
- 2Human Nutrition Research Centre, School of Agriculture, Food and Rural Development, Newcastle University,Agriculture Building, Kings Road,Newcastle upon TyneNE1 7RU,UK.
- 3School of Biology, Newcastle University,Ridley Building,Newcastle upon TyneNE1 7RU,UK.
- 4Center for Sustaining Agriculture and Natural Resources, Washington State University,Pullman,WA,USA.
- 5Department of Agricultural Sciences,School of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine, University of Bologna,Viale Fanin 42,40127Bologna,Italy.
- 6Department of Pesticide Control and Phytopharmacy,Benaki Phytopathological Institute,GR 14561 Kifissia,Athens,Greece.
- 7Department of Organic Farming and Food Technology,Technological Educational Institute of Ionian Islands,Iosif Momferatou & Ilia Miniati PC28100,Argostoli, Cephalonia,Greece.
- 8Faculty of Human Nutrition and Consumer Sciences, Warsaw University of Life Sciences,Nowoursynowska 159c,02-776Warsaw,Poland.
- 9Department of Animal Physiology,Faculty of Biology, University of Warsaw,Miecznikowa 1,02-096Warsaw,Poland.
- 10Biotechnology and Food Research, MTT Agrifood Research Finland,FI-31600Jokioinen,Finland.
- 11Department of Gene Bank,Crop Research Institute (CRI),Drnovská 507/73, 161 06 Praha 6 -Ruzyně,Czech Republic.
- 12Research Institute of Organic Agriculture (FiBL),Ackerstrasse 113,CH-5070Frick,Switzerland.
- 13INRA, UR407 Pathologie végétale,67 allée des chênes,F-84143Montfavet Cedex,France.