Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Difference Between Kosher Certified and Organic Certified

When you read ads describing Moringa products, you may see the label Kosher Certified. This is important to East coast consumers. Many people do not know the difference in standards between the two kinds of certifications. The standards and certification methods are very different.

Kosher: 


 "Kosher certification, in the traditional sense of the term, is fundamentally concerned with foods conforming to the Biblical and Rabbinic tradition of Kosher dietary laws and any contamination or trespass that would compromise these laws – and hence integrity of the Kosher certified product. The reasons offered by the rabbinic tradition for the basis of these laws vary from physical to spiritual health, discipline, ethical sensitivity, concerns with idolatry or intermarriage – to “we have no idea but it’s a Divine Commandment” or Rabbinic Law."

"Kosher certification, on the other hand, is answerable only to the rabbi of the Kosher certification agency, his industry peers and the Kosher consumer. Consequently there are different standards and, not surprisingly, there are some disagreements on various issues as to what is a proper Kosher standard or procedure. This heterodoxy of views should not be overstated, as Kosher certification is largely run by the Orthodox rabbinate and there is a significant amount of consensus. I would estimate consensus on perhaps 80% of the issues, but the other 20% leaves you enough room to sometimes get caught up in such a disagreement. So while there are disagreements about Gelatin, Carmine, Dairy, Cheese, Bread, Oil and Wine production… There are no disagreements about Pigs, Shellfish, Meat and Milk etc…"
http://earthkosher.com/organic-versus-kosher-certification/

For example a Kosher certifier will not be concerned with where or how your fruit, nuts, tea or coffee are grown, whether its Organic certified or not. Their main concern is processing of the food such as drying, and roasting. What ingredients are used for flavoring the product. Is non-kosher food also processed by that same equipment.

Note: "Having a Kosher symbol on a product somehow conveys to the consumer that it is safer, purer, or more blessed – and this is simply not true. However these myths got circulated, they fuel the sales of Kosher certified products. 
" http://earthkosher.com/organic-versus-kosher-certification/

Organic Certification: 


Organic certification is fundamentally concerned with the contamination of foods due to exposure to either chemicals, pesticides,  or GMO’s in one form or another.

Organic certification is maintained by the USDA, and the Federal government, with uniform standards developed by and enforced by government. Fines are issued to companies who do not comply. Their organic certificate can be taken away if cheating is found. Even if there are disagreements as to what should be the standard, in the end it’s hammered out into the final law. Organic certification is very time consuming and expensive for the company involved with stacks of paperwork that must be maintained.  It is the cost and time that discourages most companies from attaining that certification. It is not cost effective for them. Many companies grow their produce with organic principals but don't pursue the certificate.  Their products are just as organic as the ones with the certificate but they can't state that on ads.

Organic certification will often be concerned with a complete documentation from A-Z of the purity of the Organic product. They will investigate the farm operation steps including paperwork, seed source, soil, truck procedures, to manufacturer and packer methods etc.  They perform inspections when the application is accepted, then once a year to twice a year on average. They will do an extra inspection if a complaint is turned in.

Many countries label their products organic when they are not organic certified. In the United States, using that term can get you huge fines but not so in foreign countries. If they are actually certified organic, they should be able to give you their certificate number that you can check out through the certifing agency.

Why go to all that work and investigation?
I lost money several years ago to a company who was using a stolen organic certificate. When I did not get my product, I began investigating what recourse I had. This was an India company. I found out this guy had been successfully selling his product as organic certified with a stolen certificate for several years. He just changed the details on the certificate to his company name. At the same time I turned him in, another company from Germany also made a complaint.  Up to then, no one questioned his certificate.  

Will close for now.
Kate Freer, the Herbladyisin
http://www.moringa4healing.com/Buy_moringa_Trees_Supplements.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment