Thursday, October 11, 2012

Pet Rats- Pets In General: How Much Moringa Should I Give Them

A reader asked me this question, so I will try to answer it.  First of all Moringa is not a medicinal herb but a highly nutritious food. I give Moringa to all my animals either in the fresh form or powder. Each animal is different so you have to be creative and experiment in some cases. I think Cats and small dogs who are picky eaters are the most challenge.

Farm Animals:  I would feed my goats, rabbits, and chickens a lot more fresh Moringa leaves if I had enough. Since at this point I only have a few young trees, they get it as a treat. Next year when I have more Moringa and Comfrey leaves, they all will get more. Moringa leaves are great natural fodder for farm animals because of the protein and other nutrients. It would benefit goats and cows to give more and better milk quality. It would be great to give cows or goats who are nursing their young.  I am growing Moringa, Comfrey, Kale, and Swiss Chard  as alternative foods, in case of emergency, where their typical food it hard to come by. Moringa leaves are a survival food and should be kept on hard for your family as well.

Goats: I feed them either the fresh or dried Moringa leaves. I give them a handful. They also get Comfrey leaves as well as a treat. They love all of it. They also love squash and the finished squash leaves. I was amazed how much they love squash and the plant itself. 

Rabbits:  I give them a handful of either the fresh or dried leaves. There is not an easy way to give rabbits the powdered Moringa. I would have to make it into a pellet or biscuit form.  They eat vegetables, hay, Moringa leaves, Comfrey leaves, and other forage.

Chickens:  After looking at the ingredients, mostly GMO, in their laying pellets, I have been feeding them soaked dog food.  I infuse it with garlic and Moringa powder.  They will eat the fresh leaves too. The chickens seem to lay well, got well from being sick, and their feathers have grown back faster with the higher protein level. I do have to soak it first so it is soft.  The garlic helps their immune system and kills any internal paracites as well.   It has healthier ingredients than the lay pellets. 

Dogs:   I feed our dogs part lamb and rice dog food then add Moringa powder and Spirulina too. I would say I put in about a 1/2 tsp to a tsp of Moringa powder and mix it in.  It depends on how picky your dog is when he eats.  Some times I feed them rice, real meat, and the extras. Our Laso is as bad as a cat. It is hard to get him to eat anything but real chicken or hamburger along with rice. He has teeth missing in front so hard dog food is hard for him to eat.  Yogurt infused with Moringa powder would be another option for dogs. Yogurt is good for their digestion and as a treat.  Tuna also might work. My Laso loves tuna fish.

Cats:  1/4 tsp mixed in with their cat food.  Some may not eat it that way so don't put too much in until you know if they will eat it that way. You could also mix it in with a vitamin gel that is available for cats.

Cat's love fresh Moringa leaves. My cats have eaten several of my seedlings in the middle of the night. I have a plastic fence around the trees now to protect them. I have lost at least 8 baby trees to our cats. I have also has other reader who reported their cats eat their new tree. They demolished four of my ginkgo trees. They ate the leaves of those as well. 

Rats:  I have not had rats in years. I know they eat many different kinds of food from commercial rat food to veggies and other foods. If they will lick homemade yogurt (not the commercial sugar stuff), I would add a pinch to the yogurt.  Peanut butter would be something to mix it in as well. I would use a pinch or less to start out. If you have the fresh leaves, give them a few leaves to try.  It is a food and you should always start animals out slowly on a new food.  I know with dogs if you change dog good, they will sometimes get the runs for several days.  It is just better to go slow so their digestive system adapts. I hope this helps.  I have not given Moringa to small rodents other than my rabbits.

Remember Moringa is a food....a highly nutritious food. As a food, it could cause digestive upset when they are not used to it.  Go slowly to start out. Find a way to put it into another food they will eat. Grow a tree or so for yourself and your pets. You can grow it in the house as a small tree. You can grow it as a seasonal crop like the rest of your vegetable garden. It can be grown on a sunny patio or in a sunny sun room. Since winter is coming, it must be protected from frosts. If the temperature in your house or outside is under 70 degrees, they will lose their leaves and shut down until it warms up. If it freezes, you will lose your tree. They are a tropical tree which ideally loves areas like Florida and Hawaii.  They can be grown in other areas but not outside in the winter.  I have 10 trees in our living room.  We hardly use the living room except for watching a little TV. My children are too far away to visit so we have a living room dedicated to my Moringa and my other fragile plants.  It is all in what gives you happiness.

I hope this answers your questions on animals and Moringa.

Kate Freer, the Herbladyisin
Visit my website






1 comment:

  1. Thanks! I believe it was me that asked about this! :)

    ReplyDelete