Growing and Using Moringa, Comfrey, and Healing Herbs

Learn how to grow and use Moringa Trees, Comfrey, medicinal herbs, adaptogen herbs such as Jiaogulan, and herbal medicine to create vibrant health and an enriched life style. There are a number of herbs you can grown at home which is fun and great for your health. Learn Tips on feeding your pets and livestock naturally with organic greens such as Comfrey, Kudzu, plantain, and Moringa. Get back to your roots in a healthy way.

Monday, September 17, 2012

My Gosh...Your House Must Look Like a Nursery

Hi Folks,

I had a reader make this comment.  You know how we decorate our house is individual. Some people put works of art, beautiful paintings, beautiful furniture.....one of the those homes that could be featured in one of those decorator magazines. There is nothing wrong with that but not all of us want or have the money for that kind of home. I have visited homes that are very beautiful and perfect. I was afraid to touch anything. I could not feel that warm feeling that comes from sitting in a well worn couch. Houses carry the vibration of its owners and who they are. I once dated a man (one date) who drove an expensive car with leather seats. I had a 1979 Mercedes that was not in perfect condition. As I drove up to his home, I said to myself, well we are in the wrong neighborhood. He opened the door which led into a perfect house, with nothing out of place. Did he really live here?  I walked in on its white carpet and knew immediately, I was in the wrong lifestyle for my heart. We never had a second date for I knew that my heart and soul would never be happy living in that kind of life.

 I have always been a country girl from humble beginnings. I have never been on great vacations or seen the world.  Although it might have been nice, I chose a different life. My focus has been alternative medicine, books, growing things, and animals. I am afraid that having livestock and trips don't easily go hand in hand. When we leave our home,  we must have backup for feeding the dogs and livestock. It is a choice we make....our choice for our lives. Where some women spend money on clothes, I willingly spend money on plants, books, and animal feed. I would rather buy grow lights over other things.  It is where MY heart is.

My husband and I are older. My children and grandchildren are in Denver and Florida.  My son is in San Diego. We don't get to see each other often. We don't entertain.  I take that back, we do entertain in our living room. My beloved guests include scented geraniums, Moringa Trees, and other non-house plants that must be kept inside including two pau d' arco trees.  They provide me with beauty unmatched in my eyes, over expensive paintings. Since we only hang out in the living room when watching a movie, my plants make up the living room decor.  It makes US happy. Here are some pictures of our living room. Each corner of the huge living room has a collection of plants or trees.

This picture shows the Moringa Tree collection,  that hang out by this window in the living room. It is one of the two best places in the living room for light. The bookcase sits next to my trees. I love books and they keep me company as well. I am excited about this house because for the first time in a long time....my books are all out on our bookshelves, not in boxes. It is a very simple arrangement but I love having my trees in the house.

The house has a wood stove in the living room and here are some scented geraniums, a pau d'arco tree, and a large house plant. It is a simple card table but it works.  The one on the right is a Vick's plant that when you rub the leaves, it smells like Vicks Vapor Rub.  In fact this plant is where that product comes from.


This corner harbors our hutch, kit table, my fathers shelf he made 50 years ago or so, highlighted on top with two apple scented geraniums. The leaves smell like real apples. To the side are two trash cans that contain Moringa trees.  Grow lights overhead, give the geraniums enough light to survive there. It also keeps our bad house cats from destroying them. Pictures of my husband's parents decorate the wall there.  Not fancy, very simple but we love it.

Our house is simple, but warm and smells wonderful with all my plants. In the stark winters here in Nevada, they comfort me and give me green in the brown winters here. All of the trees here lose their leaves so outside is not pretty in winter.  But here in the beauty of our living room I can still have green leaves.

As you can see the house does not look like a nursery. It does reflect the heart of this herbalist and her husband whose heart lies in the earth and its animals. We have quail in our back yard everyday. I give them water and food. There are wild horses that visit our yard and neighbor's yard every week. I hear the quail call as I do my chores and write this column.  The doves come to visit as well. Our neighbor has goats and a donkey. As I look out on our property, my ducks and chickens roam freely on our fenced property. Our new young goats climb up on their pallet pile to play.  They call out to me to feed and pet them.  My life is not filled with trips and shopping....and is certainly not the choice for many reading this blog....but it is where my heart is and now my husband's as well. When I die someday, I want it to be in the country, with room to breathe. We all make choices in life......and living in the country in our simple house with all my animals and plants...is ours.

When I hear the quail call, I see the hand of God and his beauty. I see God in the hills and in the mountains he created here in Nevada. It is hard to see God's hand in blacktop and concrete buildings. I hear him in the silence of this remote place......as well. I hear him in the whisper of the winds through the leaves.

It took my husband several years to see the beauty in the country such as the sound of the wind blowing. We dated for a long time.  I told him I would not marry him and  live in a condo. He was determined I was the right woman even if I did love chickens. I was determined not to marry him unless he could find in his heart to love the country. He was used to car noises and city sounds. I showed him the beauty of the country over time. It took him a long time to hear the beauty in the hills. I would tell him to stop the car and listen. I don't hear anything but birds...he would say. Yes, yes, that was my point. He hears them NOW and loves them today. The first time we got chickens, you would of thought they were elephants. He now has built his forth chicken coop. He loves our country life now. There is a different vibration in the country....one you must feel with your different senses. He feels it now as I do.  I hope some of you get to experience the beauty we feel some day.

Signing off for now...May God Bless you
Kate Freer, the Herbladyisin


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home