Friday, July 6, 2012

How Moringa Trees Become A Passion and Part of My Heart and Soul

I had two readers ask me how I came to find Moringa. I certainly am not from that culture. I am an herbalist and growing things is part of who I am.  Moringa trees  have changed my life, my life path, and my heart. This is how a little Moringa tree can take you in a far different direction than you ever expected.


My biggest baby trees....


When we started growing Moringa trees we lived in Spring Valley, California. We had a beautiful enclosed porch, lots of room, but horrible water rates. There was a horrible rental rate to go with it. We had moved there because of his father who had suffered a heart attack and needed care.  He is a retired commander. The kind of man whose difficult even though I love him. He's the," What part of No don't you understand?" when you try to change his thinking. That is why we moved to this house.

Having a place with room, I added chickens and wanted to grow things. My husband built his first chicken coop here, with my help.  He was not so sure about our first chickens. He was just beginning to realize the implications of loving a country gal. I wanted to get my hands deep into the soil...see something grow in beauty. My husband is a condo guy who turned into a country guy.  His soul got changed to country over several years and four chicken coops later.  He loved a woman who loved earth worms, growing things, and raising chickens. Little did he know when he met me, how his life would change too. We impact those around us in so many ways. We can impact our family, friends, and environment either in a positive way or a destructive way. We need to remember that as we go about our life.

I have to blame my Moringa Tree passion  on my youngest daughter, Elizabeth,  who now lives in Florida.  She started a group to help schools and families plant gardens to help with the problem of inadequate nutrition. Yes, there are thousands of kids in Florida, whose families are so poor that the kids don't eat three meals a day.  These families come from the whole range of economic problems especially with these harsh times now.  She was introduced to Moringa by some friends who grow it there.  She fell in love with the concept of its exceptional nutrition. We both grow things so we talk a lot about our different projects. She told me about Moringa and I was drawn to it like a magnet.  She sent me my first seeds to grow.  I planted them and put them by our sunny kitchen window.  I was amazed at how they grew....just like little bean stalks in the fairy tale.  I had planted 30 seeds and they all came up quickly.

Well now, I had 50 baby trees that needed bigger pots so we transplanted them and they continued to grow like weeds.  Soon we had trees everywhere so we ordered two small inexpensive green houses and put them up.  I realized I had too many trees so I decided to sell them.  We bought a nursery license and started our business.  I was not sure where I was going with the whole thing but I loved the trees and wanted everyone to know about them.

Well that first year, we realized that the water bill would destroy us. There was also water restrictions and water police to monitor your growing. I realized we needed a place out of the city with a well.  So we began looking for a place. His father has gotten well quickly, and did not want to live with us at that point.  This is how it started.   We moved to the next house in part to find an area where we could grow more trees and expand.

We were doing well with lots of orders for trees and seeds. There is a large population of people from Asia and the Philipines in San Diego. Moringa is part of their culture. Once they knew we were growing the trees, the word spread quickly. I love these people because they buy the tree as a friend.  They grew up using the leaves and when they see the tree, they get a huge smile on their face. The kind of smile, after seeing an old friend after a very long time.  Every time we sold trees, we would learn more about Moringa. They greeted us with pleasure, because we understood how valuable the tree was to them. They would give us a hug and leave with two or three trees. You felt so good seeing that smile.

The house in Alpine, where we moved to next, turned out to be a bad move. The man who owned it turned out to be a crook....but the land was beautiful with its own private lake. It rained there constantly even when the rest of San Diego did not get rain. The trees loved it there.  We had a huge porch that we enclosed to keep them in for the winter. They grew beautifully there.

Getting pushed out of our lease by the owner, to lease it out to a huge nursery was how we ended up in Nevada. We could not find another property in the little time we had, where we could grow the trees with a well.  We put the big trees in our truck, and hauled them all the way to Mina, Nevada.  Why Mina? Some friends had property there. We were out of time and options. That is where we lived for a year.   We loved them enough to try and move them with us.  They did not survive there....which is still a huge loss for me.  The trees were 5 feet tall with trunks two inches thick.  We could not keep them in the house there.....we were living in a small trailer. Winter went down to 0 for a few days and the shed was not warm enough to keep them alive.  All my efforts to save them, did not work.

We do have a huge house now with lots of windows.  The house in part was picked for its ability to house Moringa trees.  I don't think my children or people helping us move, understood this at all. They probably thought I was crazy, as we hauled in the 33 gal trash cans into the house.  Moringa Trees become a passion.

Moringa Trees have a healing vibration about them. They have this beauty about them, that goes into the soul.  I have twenty trees in various stages of growth...from 8 inches to 2 1/2 feet.  They will all have to stay in the house or in a green house later on, but they are managing to grow here despite being in the wrong climate in many ways.  This house is at least big enough to hold quite a few trees this winter.  Loving the trees is going to the trouble to figure out where you will put them later.....it is experimenting with them to see how and what to do to get them growing.  You just get devoted to the tree.  I have great passion for these trees and the place they hold in our future.  You can survive from these trees.....they are the ultimate survival trees for the future. They are 'SPECIAL'.........





Well folks, that is how I got into Moringa Trees.   As I sit in my office, writing this article, looking at a whole table of little trees under grow lights, my soul smiles.

All for now, Kate Freer, The Herbladyisin

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your post. I am from Malaysia and moringa grows easily there too. We love the pods cooked in curry.

    ReplyDelete