Growing and Using Moringa, Comfrey, and Healing Herbs

Learn how to grow and use Moringa Trees, Comfrey, medicinal herbs, adaptogen herbs such as Jiaogulan, and herbal medicine to create vibrant health and an enriched life style. There are a number of herbs you can grown at home which is fun and great for your health. Learn Tips on feeding your pets and livestock naturally with organic greens such as Comfrey, Kudzu, plantain, and Moringa. Get back to your roots in a healthy way.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

How Long Do Moringa Seeds Last?

Hi Friends,




I get asked this question a lot.  The first important point is seed quality. It needs to be good quality seed. Moringa seeds are dark and firm. If the seed is light, cream colored or soft, it is old or bad seed. Give the batch of seeds a germination test. Take a few seeds, soak them overnight in water, drain them, put them into a sandwich bag, don't add any extra water, keep the seeds separate from each other, put in a warm place like your oven, and see if they sprout.

In my last post, I told you how we lost our big trees in Mina, Nevada. They froze despite all my efforts. I had seed from two years ago so decided to see if it was still good. I planted about 50 seeds and only 10 did not come up. They are growing just fine. That is good germination for having the seeds this long. I had kept the seeds dry and free from moisture and heat.

Interestingly at the old house, I found a box of different seeds. The lady who had lived there, who died was a avid gardener. In the box were many varieties of seed. Some had gotten bugs in them. Most were molded and bad. There was one box of bean seeds from 20 some years ago. The seeds looked in good shape. For the fun of it, I planted 5 seeds.  I am amazed that four came up and are doing great. They are vigorous and strong. So the quality of the seed and the way you store it, are the two main factors.

New baby Moringa trees are planted into the 33 gal containers by windows.   With the wonderful windows we have all over the living room, I expect them to grow well.  I am thankful for the plants that did survive the extreme temperatures and treatment at the old house. I think often we give up too easy. This applies to planting and life. Sometimes life throws some hard chapters and it is easy to just throw in the towel. The hard part is to keep trying even when life throws you some curves. So keep planting and keep trying.

God be with all of you,

Kate, the Herbladyisin


Please support this blog by buying your Moringa products through my website at 

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home